You’ve surely noticed that lashes are incredibly popular as of late, and there’s a real focus on otherwise natural, light, fresh makeup with fluffy, fluttery, beautiful lashes. There are a few different ways to get the look, and while mascara or lash lifts can help, it really comes down to two top contenders: eyelash extensions and fake eyelashes.
Both options have pros and cons, and both are beloved by women, but which option is better? Is there a “best” option, or just the best one for you? Let’s discuss both.
What are false eyelashes?
Fake lashes are the strip lashes, corner lashes, or cluster eyelashes that you are able to buy at any regular drugstore. They are meant for personal, at home use. These lashes are attached to the eyelid with lash glue, and they need to be applied as close to the lash line as possible. They are meant to be for short-term use (a few hours) and they need to be taken off at the end of the day.
If you are gentle with them and take care of them correctly (clean the glue off, wash them, comb them, etc.), they can be reused a few times. As of late, there have been some innovations in application, with magnetic eyelashes gaining popularity. Both magnetic lash strips and regular false eyelashes can be made from synthetic materials or real hair, and they come in various styles, sizes, colors, etc.
What are the pros of fake eyelashes?
- The first advantage of false eyelashes is that they are much cheaper and readily available. Anyone can walk into a drugstore or anywhere where makeup is sold and purchase a pair of fake eyelashes in a style that appeals to them.
- They can also be applied at home, no professional help necessary. That makes the application much more convenient and less time consuming, especially compared to extensions.
- Because they can be put on and taken off multiple times, it’s very easy to switch between styles for variety for day to day wear or for special events.
What are the cons of false eyelashes?
- Unfortunately, there is a learning curve involved with false eyelash application that many users never overcome. It can take a few tries, a few hours, patience, and a few pairs of mangled eyelashes and glue to get it right. You can’t just buy a pair and apply it perfectly if you’ve never done it before.
- They are not meant to last more than a few hours at a time, so if you like the look they give and want to have it every day, you would need to apply them and take them off every single day.
What are eyelash extensions?
Photo by @lilliann_at_instyle
Eyelash extensions are to be applied at a specialized salon, as a professional service, only by a trained technician. The process involves the application of individual lashes (synthetic or real hair) on top of individual natural lashes, using a strong professional adhesive. They are meant to last around 3 to 4 weeks, but that time is directly affected by how well the client takes care of them (cleaning, combing, etc.)
Eyelashes extensions can be applied in various styles, depending on the client’s eye shape, eyelash quality and density, and the client’s personal preference. Traditional eyelash extensions are applied with just one extension per natural lash (1D), but other more dramatic styles are also popular, with 2 to 6 thinner extensions glued to each natural lash (2D – 6D).
Also read: Eyelash Extensions for Different Eye Shapes.
What are the pros of eyelash extensions?
- Because they are applied by professional technicians, eyelash extension application requires no effort on the part of the client. All you need to do is lie down and a trained lash artist will be able to apply the lashes for you.
- There are multiple styles to choose from, if you want some variety in the looks you try out from one application to another.
- Semi permanent eyelash extensions are a long-term solution for the women who desire the false lash look on a daily basis and want to wake up looking glamorous, thus cutting down on the amount of time spent in the mirror.
What are the cons of eyelash extensions?
- The price of eyelash extensions is what deters a lot of people. It can be quite expensive to get a set applied, and while they will last you a few weeks, you still need to go in for eyelash infills every 3-4 weeks. Maintaining the style is pricy.
- The other issue is that eyelash extensions need to be cared for in very specific ways in order to keep them looking beautiful for the entire period – that includes avoiding getting them wet for the first 6 to 24 hours, rubbing excessively or tugging at them, and oil-based or waterproof products.
Photo by @beautyby.missmorgan
As you can see, both artificial lashes and eyelash extensions have their unique advantages and disadvantages. Basic false lashes are better for someone who just wants quick glam for a night out with minimal maintenance and low cost, while eyelash inserts are a superior option for the women who like to maintain the glam look for a longer period of time.